ACC Frequently Asked Questions


What are the homeowner responsibilities under the Mountain Neighborhood Deed Restrictions and Covenants?

All homeowners upon purchase of property in the Mountain Neighborhood in effect agree to maintain the property to the standards of the deed restrictions and covenants.

This includes:

  • keep grass, weeds and vegetation trimmed or cut so that the same shall remain in a neat and attractive condition (Sec. 18)
  • keep property free of trash (Sec. 19)
  • not keep farm animals on the property (Sec. 16)
  • no noxious or offensive activities of any kind shall be permitted upon any lot (Sec. 11)
  • not place temporary structures on property (shed, trailer, mobile home, unlicensed vehicles, etc. Sec. 12)
  • no truck, bus, boat, or trailer shall be parked on the driveway or any portion of the lot as to be visible from the street (Sec. 13)

Do I need to get ACC approval for an improvement to my property?

According to Sec.4 of the MNA’s “Declaration of Covenants and Restrictions,” approval by a member of the ACC must be obtained for any of the following improvements listed below to individual MNA property”…until a copy of the construction plans and specifications and/or a plan showing the location of the structure have been delivered to and approved by at least one member of the Architectural Control Committee…”

building structure





solar panels or wind energy devices

The Architectural Control Committee will review plans as to the quality of workmanship and materials, harmony of external design with the existing structures and as to the location with respect to topography and finished grade elevations.

How do I contact the Architectural Control Committee?

All questions regarding ACC submissions should be directed to The email is then distributed directly to the members of the ACC committee.

What projects need to be submitted to the ACC for approval?

All structural improvements, including, but not limited to; storage sheds, home additions, fencing changes, play equipment, decks, arbors, gazebos, swimming pools, playhouses, tree houses, walls, hardscape, landscape improvements altering drainage paths, and exterior alterations.

Landscape improvements such as trees, flowers, shrubs, and general landscaping do not need to be reviewed. Note that flower bed borders and walls can change water drainage flow causing problems for neighbors which could result in legal action by neighbors.

What is the timeline for review?

The Architectural Control Committee has 30 days after receipt of the proposed project (including all pertinent documents) to review the plans submitted to assure compliance with the Restrictions in your section.

The ACC can do one of the following; they can approve your project, request additional information, reject the project or do nothing by which you have received approval by non-action of the ACC.

If the ACC requires additional information, it may request that information or it can deny the project. You can be notified via e-mail or by phone and mail. Note that an ACC denial or request for additional information of a project stops the review process time frame. The 30 day review period starts again after the requested information is received by the ACC.

If construction is started prior to written approval by the ACC, the project can be stopped and the owner is subject to legal action by the ACC and/or possibly civil legal action by neighbors.

Are any other permits required?

The City of Austin may require electrical, plumbing permits for certain improvements. Your contractor will know this information or you can reference the City of Austin website at

Does the MNNA charge a review fee?

No, the MNA does not charge a fee for reviewing improvement plans.

How do I submit a plan for review?

1. Review your Declaration of Covenants and Restrictions for your Section of the MNA. You should have received a copy from the Title Company when you purchased your home.

If you do not have a copy (or simply can’t find your copy), you can:

· a. Obtain one from the title company who closed the purchase of your home; or

· b. Get a copy from the Travis County Courthouse.

2. Review your Section’s Restrictions related to your proposed project.

3. Complete a copy of the MNA ACC Improvement Request Formand fill it out and submit it with your complete project data.

4. Submit the packet to one of your sections MNA Board members.